Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Eri Yoshida Meets Tim Wakefield



Eighteen-year-old knuckleballer Eri Yoshida, the first woman drafted by a Japanese team, was in Fort Myers today to meet the man who inspired her to pitch.

Back in November 2008, Tim Wakefield said they hoped to see her pitch three day. Today, after Yoshida watched his side session, they returned the favour:
They spun a couple, but for the most part, it was very lovely. They could take the spin out of a lot of them and they had a lot of movement on them. \.\. I had seen film of her and I was impressed at the film. But to see her in person and to actually see her throw, I was very impressed with how they threw and the knowledge they had on the knuckleball, because they told me they was self-taught. This is the first time she is actually ever had coaching throwing a knuckleball. I kind of know where she is at, because I was there when I first started throwing -- nobody knew what to do.
Yoshida:
I never thought I could ever feel this happy.
Yoshida spent the winter pitching for the Yuma Scorpions of the Michigan Winter League. In her second start, on February 11, they threw three shutout innings against Team Canada.

0 comments:

Post a Comment